Lorenzago is situated in a scenic position at the foot of Monte Cridola with a view that takes in the Centro Cadore valley and its lake up to Pieve, Titian’s birthplace. The village was developed following the plans by the architect Segusini (1801-1876) which gave prominence to the historic houses built in local stone, while allowing the later addition of art nouveau buildings and, in the 20th century, new public buildings in neoclassical style by the architect R. Alfarè (1892-1969). The Popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI spent their holidays in the villa next to Castello Mirabello. The two paths departing from this spot in the middle of a fantastic alpine landscape were used by the Popes for their walks towards the Mauria Pass. Photographs, souvenirs and memorabilia of the Pontiffs’ stays are collected in the three storeys of the Museum of the Popes housed in the 18th century vicarage. The parish church, built in 1778 by D. Schiavi and A. Dal Fabbro from Tolmezzo, displays works by T. Da Rin, G.B. Vicari and C. Vecellio, beside altars and a pulpit in late baroque style by F. Alois as well as a recently renovated organ by F. Comelli. The church of Our Lady of Defence, rebuilt and expanded in the 1800s, holds some 16th century frescoes attributed to Giovanni Pietro da San Vito al Tagliamento, wooden altars by M. Parth from Brunico and Zuane Pitor and his brother from Carnia. Worth mentioning is the organ by the venetian N. Moscatelli, while in Coresiei there is a chapel dedicated to St Anthony of Egypt. Pleasant strolls around the historic centre and along the gentle gradients of Parco dei Sogni are a prelude or a counterpoint to going hiking on more demanding itineraries. One such excursion leads to Miaron, where the WWI fort preserves the artillery emplacements and the shelters erected by the Military Engineers. A cross-country skiing track, in the area called Borbe, a sports complex in Riauto, equipped with tennis courts, five-a-side football pitches, volleyball and basketball courts, together with a fitness trail and clay tennis courts in Pesin are an invitation to take part in a range of sporting activities in a natural environment of great beauty.
tourist office: 0435.550016
local information: 347.1760871