All posts tagged as chiese

21 Mag

Borca di Cadore

In PAESI by admin / 21 maggio 2013 / 0 Comments

Borca di Cadore is situated at the foot of Mount Antelao; from here you can also enjoy a magnificent view of Mount Pelmo.

Among the many attractions of the village there is the church of the Apostles Simon and Jude Thaddeus which was already standing in 1331, but was completely destroyed by a landslide in 1737 and was later rebuilt on its present site, in the area called Fusineles. In 1791 the church was given an organ by the celebrated organ builder Gaetano Callido who, in 1776, had been asked to repair the three organs in St Mark’s Cathedral in Venice. The church houses the miraculous statue of a Black Madonna, as well as a painting by Antonio Balestra, a work attributed to Gregorio Lazzarini and paintings by P. A. Novelli. Other churches in the area are St Rocco’s in the hamlet of Cancia and St Lawrence’s in Villanova.

The Agip holiday village, in nearby Corte di Cadore, is a fine example of modern architecture perfectly set in the surrounding natural environment. It was the brainchild of ENI-AGIP chairman Enrico Mattei, who had it built as a holiday resort for the company’s employees. The compound was designed by the architect Edoardo Gellner between 1954 and 1963. The village comprises 263 holiday homes, two hotels, a church, a holiday camp for up to 600 children, a campsite, sports facilities and several service buildings. The Church of Our Lady of Cadore was designed by Edoardo Gellner together with the architect Carlo Scarpa. The latter also planned the Natural History Museum “Olimpia Perini” which displays several species of insects, snakes, beetles, butterflies, birds and mammals. Part of the museum is devoted to the Dolomites and their geology, with samples of local minerals on show.

tourist office: 0435.482015

12 Mag

Domegge di Cadore

In PAESI by admin / 12 maggio 2013 / 0 Comments

The village lies on the shores of the Centro Cadore Lake and is surrounded by several mountain ranges, notably Spalti di Toro, Monfalconi and Marmarole. As you walk along its streets, you can admire several frescoed houses, such as the 16th century Palazzo Valmassoi in gothic style, casa Barnabò, casa Cian e casa Teza. St George is the patron of the parish: the original church burnt down in the 19th century but was swiftly rebuilt. The new parish church was designed in 1861 by the architects Segusini and Sandi. In the village there are several chapels: the oldest is St Joseph’s (17th century), St Anthony of Padua, Our Lady of the Snows and Our Lady of Health in Collesello, while the churches of Our Lady of Graces and Madonna del Ponte were built in the 18th century. St Rocco’s chapel displays a painting by Tommaso Vecellio. Other churches are to be found in Grea (St Leonard and St Anthony), in Molinà (Our Lady of Graces), in Deppo (St Bona) and the War Memorial.
Worthy of mention is the refuge of Eremo dei Romiti on Mount Froppa, which stands on the hill of the same name at 1,164 metres above sea level and was built in the 18th century. The nearby church of St John the Baptist the Precursor dates from 1724. These religious buildings were home to some Franciscan friars called “romiti” between 1720 and 1810. The hermitage was founded by the friar Giovanni Maria Pinazza and the life of the monks was defined by a series of prescriptions that regulated their daily activities until the community was closed by Napoleon’s decree in 1810 and the site was abandoned . In the last few years extensive restoration work has been carried out with the aim of using the buildings for cultural and tourist purposes. The Stations of the Cross have been set up along the footpath leading up to the compound.

tourist office: 0435.72359