Auronzo and Misurina occupy a large area of land surrounded by Tre Cime di Lavaredo and other famous Dolomites peaks. The long valley where the town sits, along the course of the River Ansiei, begins in the hamlet called Cima Gogna, where an ancient spa, already mentioned in documents dating back to 1590, later became a fashionable tourist destination.
The entrance to the town is now marked by a dam (built in 1929-1932) which creates the Santa Caterina Lake, around which there is a network of paths and walks.
The local museum, housed in Palazzo Corte Metto, displays collections ranging from biology and earth science to minerals and mining; the archaeology section contains the Roman and pre-Roman finds from the archaeological sites in the town.
Among the places of worship there is the parish church of St Justine, which dates back to the end of the 18th century, the church of Our Lady of Graces dedicated in 1745, and St Catherine’s church dating back to the 16th century. The Somadida Forest is a nature reserve rich in wildlife and trees, which used to supply the Republic of Venice with timber for its ship masts. Within the forest visitors can find easy walks, a small museum and a library with audio facilities for people with impaired sight.
The municipality also includes Misurina, the Pearl of the Dolomites, and its famous lake. On the shores of the lake stands the Istituto Pio XII, a centre for the treatment of asthma in children. From Misurina it is easy to reach the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, a symbol of the Dolomites. According to tradition, in order to fix the boundary between Auronzo and Dobbiaco, it was decided to send two women, one from each town, at cockcrow to claim the land. By tricking the bird into crowing earlier, the woman from Auronzo was able to go further, so that the boundary was fixed on the Marogna bridge near Carbonin. From Misurina you can go up to Monte Piana, where many bloody battles were fought during the First World War. The restored trenches on the mountain are now an open-air museum.