All posts tagged as Comelico

21 Mag

Santo Stefano di Cadore

In PAESI by admin / 21 maggio 2013 / 0 Comments

Santo Stefano, renowned as a centre for timber trading, had several mills and workshops until the end of the last century. The parish church was built in the 13th century: the choir dates from 1478, whereas the three naves were constructed between 1665 and 1675 to plans by fra’ Tomaso Simonetti from Ancona. The church hosts works by Tomaso Da Rin and Cristoforo Monforte, while one of the altars is by Brustolon’s pupils. The original settlement was in the hamlet Transacqua, where the first Christian chapel was erected, in the same spot where now stands the church of Our Lady of Graces and the nearby Casa Betting dating from 1600. In the village there are also two ancient chapels built with tuff, one of them holds an ancient statue of the Virgin Mary dating from the 15th century.

Travelling towards Comelico Superiore, the first hamlet on the way is Casada, where you can visit the little church (1855) dedicated to saints Lawrence and Oswald. Further along in Costalissoio there is the museum of the surrealist artist Luigi Regianini. The collection holds contemporary works by the painter and is enriched every year by new additions. Other notable works in the village are the statue “to the Homeland” by Augusto Murer and the church of the Holy Trinity (1853) with a painting by Zanzotto. He was the father of the poet Andrea Zanzotto and a freeman of the village. Travelling north you arrive in Campolongo with the church dedicated to Saints Philip and James. Although originally built in the 14th century, it was renovated in the 18th century; there are some notable paintings and a statue of Our Lady of Health made by Raffaele Piazza in the early 1900s. Val Frison is well-known for its wonderful natural environment, the remains of the blockhouses, and St Oswald’s chapel, rebuilt at the end of the 1920s.

INFO
www.valcomelicodolomiti.it
tourist office 0435.67021 / 0435.62230

12 Mag

Geographical Context

In INFO by admin / 12 maggio 2013 / 0 Comments

Cadore is situated in a picturesque location and represents one of Italy’s most beautiful and enchanting territories, set apart by its uniqueness in both geological and historical terms. It covers an area of 1,427 km2 and is made up of 22 parishes.
It shares borders with the province of Bolzano (Val Pusteria) to the north/north-west, with the provinces of Pordenone and Udine to the east/south-east, with the Belluno region to the south and with the Agordino and Zoldano areas to the west.

HOW TO REACH CADORE
Train: to Calalzo di Cadore. Calalzo’s railway station is the terminus for services from Venice, Mestre and Padua.
Car: A27 Venice – Ponte nelle Alpi, then SS51 towards Longarone and Tai di Cadore. At the Tai crossroads turn right for Calalzo, Comelico and Auronzo, and left for the Valle del Boite and Cortina.
Air: the closest airports are Venice “Marco Polo” (135 km) and Treviso “S.Angelo” (100 km).

14 Nov

Val Visdende

In SPECIALI by admin / 14 novembre 2012 / 0 Comments

A casket of natural riches, a gift of creation. Thus John Paul II described Val Visdende, the valley that leads from the right bank of the river Piave between Santo Stefano di Cadore and Sappada. The Polish Pope walked there and also celebrated Mass in 1987, in the beautiful little church of Our Lady of the Snows.
Crisscrossed by dozen of tracks and footpaths, Val Visdende is a paradise for trekkers who, on foot or by mountain bike, can easily reach Mount Peralba, where the river Piave rises, or the strategic positions along the boundary with Austria. On the plain of Val Carnia there are some centuries-old spruces which testify to the importance of timber as an economic resource for the whole of Comelico. In the area there are only a few seasonal accommodation facilities as well as the mountain dairies (“malghe”) that are linked by a dedicated tour (“Giro delle Malghe”).

INFO
tourist office: 0435.67021 / 0435.62230
www.valcomelicodolomiti.it
www.valvisdende.it