All posts tagged as Domegge di Cadore

12 Mag

Domegge di Cadore

In PAESI by admin / 12 maggio 2013 / 0 Comments

The village lies on the shores of the Centro Cadore Lake and is surrounded by several mountain ranges, notably Spalti di Toro, Monfalconi and Marmarole. As you walk along its streets, you can admire several frescoed houses, such as the 16th century Palazzo Valmassoi in gothic style, casa Barnabò, casa Cian e casa Teza. St George is the patron of the parish: the original church burnt down in the 19th century but was swiftly rebuilt. The new parish church was designed in 1861 by the architects Segusini and Sandi. In the village there are several chapels: the oldest is St Joseph’s (17th century), St Anthony of Padua, Our Lady of the Snows and Our Lady of Health in Collesello, while the churches of Our Lady of Graces and Madonna del Ponte were built in the 18th century. St Rocco’s chapel displays a painting by Tommaso Vecellio. Other churches are to be found in Grea (St Leonard and St Anthony), in Molinà (Our Lady of Graces), in Deppo (St Bona) and the War Memorial.
Worthy of mention is the refuge of Eremo dei Romiti on Mount Froppa, which stands on the hill of the same name at 1,164 metres above sea level and was built in the 18th century. The nearby church of St John the Baptist the Precursor dates from 1724. These religious buildings were home to some Franciscan friars called “romiti” between 1720 and 1810. The hermitage was founded by the friar Giovanni Maria Pinazza and the life of the monks was defined by a series of prescriptions that regulated their daily activities until the community was closed by Napoleon’s decree in 1810 and the site was abandoned . In the last few years extensive restoration work has been carried out with the aim of using the buildings for cultural and tourist purposes. The Stations of the Cross have been set up along the footpath leading up to the compound.

tourist office: 0435.72359