All posts tagged as legname

21 Mag

Santo Stefano di Cadore

In PAESI by admin / 21 maggio 2013 / 0 Comments

Santo Stefano, renowned as a centre for timber trading, had several mills and workshops until the end of the last century. The parish church was built in the 13th century: the choir dates from 1478, whereas the three naves were constructed between 1665 and 1675 to plans by fra’ Tomaso Simonetti from Ancona. The church hosts works by Tomaso Da Rin and Cristoforo Monforte, while one of the altars is by Brustolon’s pupils. The original settlement was in the hamlet Transacqua, where the first Christian chapel was erected, in the same spot where now stands the church of Our Lady of Graces and the nearby Casa Betting dating from 1600. In the village there are also two ancient chapels built with tuff, one of them holds an ancient statue of the Virgin Mary dating from the 15th century.

Travelling towards Comelico Superiore, the first hamlet on the way is Casada, where you can visit the little church (1855) dedicated to saints Lawrence and Oswald. Further along in Costalissoio there is the museum of the surrealist artist Luigi Regianini. The collection holds contemporary works by the painter and is enriched every year by new additions. Other notable works in the village are the statue “to the Homeland” by Augusto Murer and the church of the Holy Trinity (1853) with a painting by Zanzotto. He was the father of the poet Andrea Zanzotto and a freeman of the village. Travelling north you arrive in Campolongo with the church dedicated to Saints Philip and James. Although originally built in the 14th century, it was renovated in the 18th century; there are some notable paintings and a statue of Our Lady of Health made by Raffaele Piazza in the early 1900s. Val Frison is well-known for its wonderful natural environment, the remains of the blockhouses, and St Oswald’s chapel, rebuilt at the end of the 1920s.

tourist office 0435.67021 / 0435.62230

13 Mag

Perarolo di Cadore

In PAESI by admin / 13 maggio 2013 / 0 Comments

From the second half of the 14th century, and for centuries thereafter, timber trading was the basis of the local economy. It was here that logs tied up in rafts used to start their journey by river all the way to Venice. The history of timber floating is documented in the museum (Museo del Cidolo e del legname) housed in a 19th century palace “Casa dei Trofei”, decorated with fine stuccoes. The then queen of Italy, Queen Margherita, was a guest here. The exhibits in the museum are organised around the central piece, the “cidolo”, a sort of barrage used to stop the logs that floated down the river while allowing the normal water flow. The original machinery, a construction unique to Cadore, was installed in the area called Sacco and was dismantled in the 20th century. Palazzo Lazzaris, built by a family of timber traders, was the first residence of a sort of compound that includes the garden, Casa dei Trofei and the church. In the village there are other fine historic houses. The church, with paintings by Tomaso Da Rin and Giuseppe Ghedina, is dedicated to St Nicholas. It was built in 1407, but it has subsequently been altered on several occasions. Other churches in the area are St Anne’s and St Rocco’s, St Michael’s in Caralte and the oratory of Our Lady of Health in Macchietto. The men who used to float the timber all came from Caralte, a medieval hamlet which was completely destroyed by a fire in the 19th century. Only the bell tower and some 17th-18th  century tuff masks survived. The wilderness reserve of Val Montina, near Perarolo, is a wild and unspoilt environment where nature has reverted to what it was probably like in the late Mesolithic period.