All posts tagged as sport

21 Mag

Comelico Superiore

In PAESI by admin / 21 maggio 2013 / 0 Comments

Padola, a winter sports resort, was already known as a spa in the 19th century thanks to the hot springs in Valgrande. The river Padola is straddled by a man-made barrage, la Stua, recorded since 1521, which used to regulate the floating of timber and which is now a museum artefact. The parish church, dating from the 19th century and dedicated to St Luke the Evangelist, houses works by Tomaso Da Rin and De Lorenzi. In Padola there is also the chapel of Our Lady of Graces built in 1859, and St Anne’s church built in 1699. In the parish church in Dosoledo, dedicated to Saints Rocco and Oswald, you can admire an altar by the sculptor Andrea Brustolon, while in the nearby Casamazzagno, in a scenic position, stands the beautiful church of St Lawrence, built in late gothic style in 1545 by Nicolò Roupel. According to the documents of the local statute Laudo della Regola, Candide is the oldest village; its church, built in the 18th century in honour of Our Lady of the Assumption, was designed by Felice Del Fabbro and was frescoed by Giovanni De Min, with other works by Pietro D’Andreis, Giovanni Rossi and Guido Reni. Another building by Nicolò Roupel is St Anthony’s chapel next to the parish church. There are some impressive residences in Dosoledo such as Palazzo Zandonella-Dall’Aquila, and in nearby Candide, Palazzo Gera and Casa Monti Giacobbi. Candide also hosts an Alpine Garden with several rare alpine species. Those interested in learning about the Ladin culture, which still flourishes in the valley, could visit the multimedia centre Spazio Algudnei (Dosoledo), the Museum of Alpine and Ladin Culture (Padola) or the museum of local traditions “La Stua” (Casamazzagno). Alternatively a stroll along the path “I quattro Trói” with its wooden sculptures offers an insight into the traditions at carnival time, local crafts and festivals.

tourist office: 0435.67021 / 0435.62230

12 Mag

Lorenzago di Cadore

In PAESI by admin / 12 maggio 2013 / 0 Comments

Lorenzago is situated in a scenic position at the foot of Monte Cridola with a view that takes in the Centro Cadore valley and its lake up to Pieve, Titian’s birthplace. The village was developed following the plans by the architect Segusini (1801-1876) which gave prominence to the historic houses built in local stone, while allowing the later addition of art nouveau  buildings and, in the 20th century, new public buildings in neoclassical style by the architect R. Alfarè (1892-1969). The Popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI spent their holidays in the villa next to Castello Mirabello. The two paths departing from this spot in the middle of a fantastic alpine landscape were used by the Popes for their walks towards the Mauria Pass. Photographs, souvenirs and memorabilia of the Pontiffs’ stays are collected in the three storeys of the Museum of the Popes housed in the 18th century vicarage. The parish church, built in 1778 by D. Schiavi and A. Dal Fabbro from Tolmezzo, displays works by T. Da Rin, G.B. Vicari and C. Vecellio, beside altars and a pulpit in late baroque style by F. Alois as well as a recently renovated organ by F. Comelli. The church of Our Lady of Defence, rebuilt and expanded in the 1800s, holds some 16th century frescoes attributed to Giovanni Pietro da San Vito al Tagliamento, wooden altars by M. Parth from Brunico and Zuane Pitor and his brother from Carnia. Worth mentioning is the organ by the venetian N. Moscatelli, while in Coresiei there is a chapel dedicated to St Anthony of Egypt. Pleasant strolls around the historic centre and along the gentle gradients of Parco dei Sogni are a prelude or a counterpoint to going hiking on more demanding itineraries. One such excursion leads to Miaron, where the WWI fort preserves the artillery emplacements and the shelters erected by the Military Engineers. A cross-country skiing track, in the area called Borbe, a sports complex in Riauto, equipped with tennis courts, five-a-side football pitches, volleyball and basketball courts, together with a fitness trail and clay tennis courts in Pesin are an invitation to take part in a range of sporting activities in a natural environment of great beauty.

tourist office: 0435.550016
local information: 347.1760871