Borca di Cadore is situated at the foot of Mount Antelao; from here you can also enjoy a magnificent view of Mount Pelmo.
Among the many attractions of the village there is the church of the Apostles Simon and Jude Thaddeus which was already standing in 1331, but was completely destroyed by a landslide in 1737 and was later rebuilt on its present site, in the area called Fusineles. In 1791 the church was given an organ by the celebrated organ builder Gaetano Callido who, in 1776, had been asked to repair the three organs in St Mark’s Cathedral in Venice. The church houses the miraculous statue of a Black Madonna, as well as a painting by Antonio Balestra, a work attributed to Gregorio Lazzarini and paintings by P. A. Novelli. Other churches in the area are St Rocco’s in the hamlet of Cancia and St Lawrence’s in Villanova.
The Agip holiday village, in nearby Corte di Cadore, is a fine example of modern architecture perfectly set in the surrounding natural environment. It was the brainchild of ENI-AGIP chairman Enrico Mattei, who had it built as a holiday resort for the company’s employees. The compound was designed by the architect Edoardo Gellner between 1954 and 1963. The village comprises 263 holiday homes, two hotels, a church, a holiday camp for up to 600 children, a campsite, sports facilities and several service buildings. The Church of Our Lady of Cadore was designed by Edoardo Gellner together with the architect Carlo Scarpa. The latter also planned the Natural History Museum “Olimpia Perini” which displays several species of insects, snakes, beetles, butterflies, birds and mammals. Part of the museum is devoted to the Dolomites and their geology, with samples of local minerals on show.